Recent update: MailChimp marketing automation tools are now available to all users, regardless of whether you’re using a free or paid account!
The MailChimp automation tool allows you to create a targeted email or series of emails that send when triggered by a specific date, event, or contact’s activity.
It features powerful segmenting, scheduling, and design tools in one easy-to-use package, so you can send emails that inform, reward, and engage your contacts.
In this article, you’ll learn about automation and how you can use it in your email marketing plan.
What is Automation?
With an automation campaign, emails are sent automatically to specific contacts as they meet your trigger and sending criteria.
Choose an automation, create one email or a series of emails, and set your sending criteria. MailChimp will use activity and contact data to determine who should receive your emails, and when. After you set up an automation, MailChimp will then manage your queue and send out the email, so that the emails get to the right people at the right time.
Why Would You Use Automation?
Automation helps you communicate with your customers exactly the way you would want it to, but eliminates the need to create and send every message manually, reducing the amount of time you spend on content creation.
If you’re new to marketing automation, MailChimp’s intent-based campaign creation process will help you get started by guiding you to the right automation for your goals. It’ll show you the different campaigns that fit your objectives, so you can be more effective with your marketing.
If you have a store connected to MailChimp, you can also use automation for transactional sending, such as abandoned cart emails and order notifications. These automations will reach anyone who abandons a cart or places an order in your store, and not just subscribed contacts.
Send The Right Message at The Right Moment
Automation makes it really easy to send the right message to the right people at the right time, giving you an edge over the competition. The best part? It’s not going to cost you a lot.
MailChimp has a range of present automations that give you the power to choose the perfect workflow for your business, and customise its settings in just a few clicks.
Greet your subscribers with a friendly welcome message, follow up about a purchase, or just to simply increase brand awareness.
Become a Better Marketer
Including the right content is very important when it comes to becoming a better marketer. Let’s not forget that we also have to identify the intent of the message we want to send across, and deciding on how we want to reach our customers.
It can be very daunting, but with that in mind, MailChimp has redesigned their campaign creation process, making it even easier to create a personalised experience for your customers.
What Can I Use Automation For?
MailChimp offers a number of automation types with built-in triggers for common activities, but if our pre-built options does not address your needs, you can always create a custom automation instead.
Connect With Your New Contacts
Automation is a simple, effective way to make a powerful first impression. Reach out to your newest subscribers and customers to keep them engaged, improve retention, and cultivate lasting relationships.
• Say ‘Happy Birthday’. Let your contacts know that you’re thinking about them on their birthday or anniversary. Create an automation, set it to send annually, and we'll take care of the rest.
Sell More Stuff
Once you connect your store to MailChimp, you can put your purchase data to use by creating automations that make it easy to communicate to—and follow up with—your customers, so you can drive more sales and improve your bottom line.
• Recover abandoned carts. Reach out to customers who navigate away from their online shopping cart without completing a purchase. Send an email (or series of emails) to remind them what they've left behind and encourage them to return to your store. You can even add personalised product recommendations to give your customers more options and increase your conversion rate.
• Follow up on purchases. Ask for product feedback, or send a quick survey after they buy a specific product or make a purchase from a specific product category.
• Get more out of order notifications. After a customer makes a purchase from your store, automatically send them an invoice, shipping confirmation, and other transactional notification messages. You can even include a personal message to thank customers for their purchase or drag in a product notifications block to showcase related items.
Boost Customer Loyalty
The customers who support your business are important to your growth and success, so it's important to let them know they’re valued. Keeping in mind that retaining existing customers is far more cost-effective than acquiring new ones, MailChimp offers several easy-to-set-up automations designed to keep bringing people back.
• Thank first-time customers. Reach out to brand new customers who've just made their first purchase from your store to thank them for their business or offer a discount to encourage them to shop with you in the future.
• Reward your best customers. Show appreciation for your most loyal customers or biggest spenders by sending them a special offer, coupon, or download.
Bring Customers Back
Automation can be a powerful tool for businesses, but can be especially helpful for re-engaging people who haven't interacted with your brand recently.
• Win back lapsed customers. Create an email or series of emails to encourage lapsed customers return to your store or re-engage with your campaigns. Showcase your latest products to customers who haven’t made a purchase in a while, or offer an incentive to potential customers who have signed up for your list but haven’t bought an item from your store just yet.
• Improve email engagement. Automatically reach back out to subscribers who don’t open or click a link within one of your email campaigns.
How Do I Set Up An Automation?
Use MailChimp’s Automation feature to streamline your recurring communications, and make sure your subscribers receive the right emails at the right time. For a detailed explanation on how to add an automation, read more here.
So you’ve connected your store and want to set up your own automation? Pre-built workflows make it easy to send an automated email when customers make their first purchase or abandon their cart.
For more information on automation or anything MailChimp related, feel free to contact Elkfox today.
Next up: How To Use Facebook Ad Campaigns in integration with MailChimp.
Images via MailChimp